Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup


We had our weekly "dinner with the nabes" (as we call it; nabes = neighbors) yesterday evening and I volunteered to prepare it. Awhile back, I found this recipe at a website called caloriecount.com and was intrigued enough to try it. It was good enough that I added it to my recipe collection and last night was the second time I tried it. Again, it was a hit ... everyone loved it. It is a really good soup to serve at this time of the year when the nights are getting colder and you want something to really warm you. Definitely falls under the umbrella of comfort food. I served toasted rye bread with the soup -- it complements the flavor of the soup quite well.

Speaking of this time of the year, it is definitely my favorite. I love autumn! Colorful leaves, mugs of warm apple cider, bonfires, cozy sweaters .... I love it all!

 

But, back to the subject of last night's menu.......(and I doubled it by the way, but the recipe that follows is a single batch which would yield about 4 servings)

The ingredients.....
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup chopped celery
  • 3/4 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/4 cup chopped shallots
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup cooked wild rice (I use the Uncle Ben's kind that is already cooked)
  • 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
 Heat oil; add mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shallots and cook until softened. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes more.



Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add rice and chicken and let simmer awhile. Add sour cream and parsley at the end and heat through.





No comments:

Post a Comment