Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fresh Garden Salsa



Summer has come and gone, but the garden continues to produce although it is nearing the end of the growing season. We have had buckets upon buckets of red plump tomatoes this year ... some that Chloe planted from seed that were gigantic (one was, no lie, about as big as her head)!



I am going to attempt to use the last of the summer vegetables as well as some of the many herbs from our garden over the next few days. So....

Today, I used vine-ripened tomatoes and jalapenos to make fresh garden salsa. (We like to eat the salsa with tortilla 'scoops'). The remainder of the vegetables had to be purchased from the supermarket (I have a very healthy herb garden, but cilantro did not do well this year).

This is a pretty simple combination; I use: 2 medium red tomatoes; 1/3 red onion; 1 fresh jalapeno; 2 to 3 garlic cloves; about 2 tbsp. lime juice; fresh cilantro; and 1/4 tsp salt (or, to taste).

Finely chop the tomatoes (I seed mine as well), red onion, jalapeno (I seed mine, but depends on how much heat you want); and cilantro and combine in bowl. Mince the garlic and add to the mix. Add the lime juice and the salt.

Note: when I cut my jalapenos, if I don't have a plastic glove to wear, I place a sandwich baggie over the hand so that I don't get the 'fire juice' on my hand (I got tired of having my hands burn or my face burn after I touched it with the oils there!).



When all ingredients are together, mix and cover with plastic wrap. The flavors need to marry, so I usually allow it to sit (in the fridge) for a couple hours at least before serving.

This is the finished result. Fresh, healthy, delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogland!!
    I loved this post. Number one because salsa is one of my favs and you can't beat it fresh from the garden and number two I love the way you write! It sounds sooo delish and looks it too.
    Just wish I could of been there to sample it with ya! :) Sigh.

    ReplyDelete